As most of you know reading this blog, Tyler was placed in the NICU at St. Joe's due to a rather long and intense labor and delivery which caused him some physical stress. Since his birth, he has had low blood sugar levels and experienced a couple of seizures in the days following his delivery. The seizures were caused by blood that was found in his spinal fluid. The overall stress of the delivery caused the blood in his spinal fluid and also caused him to have low blood sugar. He will continue to stay at St. Joe's in the NICU through next week, if not longer, for additional testing and observation. Tyler's neurologist said that he was a vigorous and strong baby and the overall big picture looked good which was great news! (Thanks Laura- I pulled some of this from your blog so I didn't have to re-explain myself again). Tyler continues to have irritation in the neck area but once all the blood goes away in his spinal fluid, this should help make his neck not so irritated. Tyler has had two good nights and we continue to take things one day a time. He is no longer in the incubator either which is nice because we can get more physical contact with him when we visit. As our lives have been quite the whirlwind these past few days, we haven't been able to touch base with everybody, but we appreciate all the love, support, prayers & thoughts which is getting us though this difficult time. We believe Tyler is working with some of the best doctors and is in good hands at St. Joe's NICU. We can't thank all the wonderful doctors and nurses enough for what they have done for our little boy!
We visited Tyler twice so far today and will go again tonight.. this is one of the pictures we captured during the lunch hour. I LOVE his smile and pudgy cheeks. Tyler can recognize mommy and daddy's voice and he looks like he was happy to have us there! It drives me crazy that I can't hold him right now (because he has brain wave activity stickers attached to his head), but it sounds like next week those might be off and I can hold my precious boy! Although he is getting nutrients and fluids through an IV, they are starting him on regular feedings through a bottle today to see how he handles it. We are keeping our fingers crossed this goes well... once Mama Brenton gets "my supply" in, I plan on feeding him as much as I can also.
Grandma and Grandpa Beyer are so happy to see you Tyler! It's been hard for everyone in my family because the anxious aunts & uncles haven't really had the opportunity to hold Tyler other than once... and poor little Hailey hasn't even been able to meet him yet as they were not letting any children under 18 years old in the room. He looks completely different too from when he was born!
I wish we had our little pumpkin home today. I had his pumpkin hat and first Halloween outfit all ready to go along with a mini pumpkin I had picked up for Tyler, but he got his own special treat today for Halloween. We were able to sneak Great-grandma Callahan into the NICU to visit. They only allow parents and grandparents, but they made an exception! "GG" was so excited to meet him!
Tyler and "GG" were both wearing green outfits. I must say green looks good on them both :)
Rob cannot give this boy enough kisses... he was hoping to have him home to watch the Packer-Viking Game on Sunday, but I have a feeling there will be plenty of other games these two will be watching together :)
We will try to keep you posted on any major updates with Tyler. We are taking one day at a time and continue to pray we will get to bring him home very soon. Yesterday was emotionally tough coming home from the hospital with an empty car seat, but like Rob keeps saying "we will bring him home, just not today". We just want our little boy to get healthy and we know lots of prayers are being said for him. Grandpa John is also watching out for him! Thank you everyone for being such great friends, great family and a huge support to us!
Love, love, love all the pictures of our little Ty Guy! I can't wait until he's home in Mom and Dad's arms!
ReplyDelete