Monday, May 24, 2010

Botox Baby

After finding $20 on my morning run, I knew it was going to be a good day-it was a sign from the Big Man that Tyler's marathon of appointments today were going to go better than expected. These days I go into every appointment expecting the worst and when the worst doesn't happen, then I can feel better about them :) Isn't that the "glass half empty" kind of attitude?

Our field trip today consisted of the following:

Stop #1 We began our journey in Milwaukee County where Tyler got his first round of Botox injections in his neck for his Cervical dystonia (also known as spasmodic torticollis) at the Children's Hospital Clinic. Botox is used in very severe case torticollis babies and unfortuately Tyler continues to be a severe case. The overall procedure lasted all but a few seconds and we aren't expected to see change for at least 5-10 days. Never in the world would I have thought my baby would get botox... the things you continue to learn! Fingers crossed that it works because if this doesn't help I am not sure what other magic will!


Cool as a clam- blood pressure checks out.. little does Tyler know what is about to really happen!


Our smiley little baby is not so happy here, but for as nervous as I was about this Botox procedure and all the anxiety leading up to the main event, it was over in seconds.

Stop #2 We extended our journey to see a Pediatric Ophtalmologist to see if Tyler has any issues with his eyes pertaining to his torticollis. The concern was that he would see the world on a slant. The Dr. dialated his eyes and did an exam to find out that his eyes are in good shape. Good news and one more thing to rule out.. Lucky for us we didn't walk out of the office with glasses- that was the running joke as everytime we go to see a new doctor Tyler gets a "gift" sent home to spice up his wardrobe.


This picture cracks me up personally... Tyler is thinking who the hell is this lady and what are you doing to me now? This picture illustrates his torticollis as he really favoring his right side.. if only he would look that way to his left.



Stop #3 My mom, Tyler and I got to sneak in some lunch at Panera before heading back into Waukesha County for Ty's Physical Therapy Appointment. Nothing new to report here. After PT we tried to squeeze in a "cat" nap for Tyler but had no such luck!



Stop #4 Off to Ozaukee County to get Tyler's Doc Band adjusted. By this point, with no nap and beginning to get hungry, I had one fussy baby on my hands. Hopefully at some point this summer, he will no longer have his Doc Band, but he may need another one which means we would have to go through the whole process again. The good news is that instead of meeting with Karen in Mequon weekly, we now can go every other week which is nice since it takes an hour to get there and an hour to get home in traffic.

Stop #5 Finally our journey lead us to HOME SWEET HOME!!! It was a long day, but I'll admit kinda nice I didn't have to work today and was able to catch a glimpse of the beautiful weather walking in and out of appointments.

Tyler finally caught a few ZZZZ's on the way home... what a trooper you are baby! You have been a good sport not only because you are "sporting" a Brewer logo on your Doc Band and the Brewer's just suck, but you handled these appointments like a champ!



p.s. How many times can I say torticollis in one blog? That word haunts me! Enjoy the nice summer weather ahead and soon we will be ready for play-dates as my summer break is approaching!

Nighty Night

No comments:

Post a Comment