Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ready to Rumble?

Anybody want to wrestle? Tyler is in full gear to get the job done. As his physical therapist commented: “Tyler is a powerhouse” and I’m sure he is willing to take on anybody that gets in his way, so watch out :)

On Friday, Tyler got his Doc Band, which he will wear for 23 out of 24 hours a day, at least 3 months, possibly 6 months depending on the progress. I have accepted the fact he needs the Doc Band and realize it’s not the end of the world, could be much worse in comparison to A LOT of other things in life, but I have to admit I did allow myself to have a “pity party” about the whole thing. My denial has turned into reality and although in the wide spectrum of life you might say “What is the big deal?”, cosmetically it’s the first thing you see. One thing I will say when Tyler clungs his head on the ground, at least the boy is protected and like Rob reminds me would you rather have him wear this helmet for a short period of time or have a flat head for the rest of his life? Overall, despite the Doc Band, we are blessed every second of every day for Tyler’s overall health which is the most important thing to us. Our love for this miracle child just keeps growing & growing!!!


I may have looked happy in this picture, but I would be lying if I said I didn't shed a few tears during the "casting" process. Rob was a great help during the process and it took four people at one point to keep Tyler still and focused.






Tyler was full of plaster and needed at least two baths to get
everything off of his skin.




A special thanks to my mom for coming to various appointments throughout this process when it wasn't convenient for Rob to get off from work. Between all of these appointments for Tyler we have had to "pick and choose" what appointments are more important than others if that makes sense while also working around that thing called "work". Having two ears at these meetings are always better than one, since I become overwhelmed and forget what questions to ask.


This is a picture of Karen holding Tyler. Karen is the lady we meet with weekly regarding the Doc Band- she has been a huge help thus far and I'm confident Tyler is in good hands. Unfornuately Karen informed us that out of all the patients she works with, Tyler has some of the worst torticollis she has seen. For this reason, Tyler will need to see more specialists regarding the issues. With receiving physical therapy since birth, we haven't seen the improvement we are hoping for and it's ever so frustrating for us since we are taking him to all these appointments and doing home stretches at home. Keep us in your thoughts that things start looking up... if it wasn't for my highlights, I wouldn't be surprised if I have gray hair by now :)

Tyler and I have a big field trip planned for tomorrow to try to find stickers for his Doc Band to "spice" it up a tad. Of course I am biased, he will always be a cutie in our eyes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment