My mom and I spent 4 hours over Thanksgiving break at Children's Hospital where Tyler underwent a Milk Food Challenge Test to see if he outgrew the milk allergy. They did not test him for egg or peanut because right now that is much more severe than the milk which lab results indicate is mild. After a long day at Children's, Tyler had no immediate reaction; we discovered he loved vanilla icecream and I walked away with hope and confidence that the milk allergy was behind us. The past two weeks, we have been feeding him 2 servings a day of milk products, taking stool samples and sending them to Children's in the mail (little does the mail man know what he is handling) and taking note any reactions he has had. More than anything, he has had reactions with his skin since it's so sensitive and has been a little more agitated, but nothing major. We discovered today after I spoke to a nurse from Children's that his first stool sample came out negative and the second one came out positive which means he has NOT outgrown the milk allergy just yet, so we wait another year to have him re-tested for the milk. I KNOW this is NOT the end of the world, but do you know how excited and how much easier and convenient it is to feed the boy milk products... everything has milk in it! He was just beginning to fall in love with mac and cheese and I was loving the idea that I could buy him yogurt (5 for $1 vs 1 for $1)!! So although this might not seem like a big deal, I still have the right to have my “pity party” and will move on from this glimpse of hope I had with Tyler being able to have dairy in his diet...

Secondly as you know he continues to get physical therapy two times a week and we just started taking him to see a chiropractor that specializes in pediatrics. We have always contemplated taking him to see a chiropractor for his neck issues, but as a little newborn I was terrified. I would say about a month ago my buddy (shout out to you Brian) told me about his chiropractor and all the benefits they can have on kids. The light bulb which had burnt out was re-lit and it reminded me that this is the ONE thing we have not tried with Tyler, so long story short, we are seeing another Dr. I believe that is #9 or #10 on the list, but who is counting?? The past few weeks we have had 5 appointments in a week (2 PT, 3 Chiropractor). It's enough to drive you insane, but the progress with his neck is not where it needs to be. It's impossible for an outsider to know what I am talking about because his neck looks fine to most, but every once in awhile we have a huge set back and for as much PT as he has been getting we should not be having set backs like this.
I am continuing to learn patience during this journey. One of the reasons I started this blog was to communicate the latest and greatest, even if it's not greatest some times :) What a boring post, hardly any pictures and all you have to listen to is me rambling (thank you!!) Otherwise the Brenton's are good, and although there are bumps in the road, we continue to remain blessed for our good fortunes!!! I am reminded of our blessings everyday :) Looking forward to this Christmas season.....
No comments:
Post a Comment